The ABPI Code of Practice for the Pharmaceutical Industry 2021
The Code sets standards for the promotion of medicines for prescribing to health professionals and other relevant decision makers in the UK. It includes requirements for the provision of information to patients and the public and relationships with patient groups. The detailed provisions in the Code aim to ensure that pharmaceutical companies operate in a responsible, ethical and professional manner.
The Code covers:
- journal, direct mail and digital advertising
- the activities of representatives, including any materials used by them
- the supply of samples
- the provisions of inducements to prescribe, supply, administer, buy or sell medicines, by the gift, offer or promise of any benefit or bonus whether in money or in kind
- the provision of hospitality
- promotional meetings
- the sponsorship of scientific and other meetings including payment of travel and accommodation expenses
- all other sales promotion in whatever form.
The Code also covers:
- the provision of information to the public
- relationships with patient organisations.
Order a printed copy of the ABPI 2021 Code of Practice.
Download PDF here.